Thursday, April 17, 2014

Kale and Smoked Gouda Quiche

Doesn't that just sound fantastic?!?! Quiche just reminds me of a fancy brunch, or a French bistro. I LOVE this dish, breakfast-all whisked together in one delicious dish. A quiche is really quite simple, and could be made with hundreds of different combinations. I like a simple bacon and cheddar, or ham and swiss. My mom made it with tuna and mixed veggies when I was a kid, still delicious. 

I made this version a while back, for my best friend's baby shower. It was a hit! I think we could have licked the pie plate clean. But, being the proper ladies we are...we settled for licking the crumbs from our fingers.

I'm not a baker by any sense of the word, I used a Pilsbury pre-made pie crust. If you'd like to throw a crust together, more power to you!

An important step in this specific quiche is wilting/cooking your kale. It's a pretty hearty green and doesn't soften easily, it would be too chew if you were to add raw. Sautéing my kale, with a drizzle of olive oil and a glove of garlic, took all of 5 minutes. Easy peasy.

Smoked Gouda, the cheese from heaven. Mmmm....creamy, rich, salty goodness. I purchased mine from the deli counter, I haven't found smoked Gouda in the dairy section. I don't venture far from Target so you may be able to find it with the dairy elsewhere.

Okay, enough chatter! Here's my recipe!



Kale and Smoked Gouda Quiche

pie crust 
4 eggs
2 cups of fat-free half & half 
1 cup of shredded, smoked gouda 
4 medium stalks of kale, stems removed, chopped into bite size pieces.
1 glove of minced garlic
Olive oil (I used coconut oil)
Salt and pepper

Pre-heat the oven to 350'

Place pie crust in pie plate, lightly press to mold into the dish. Pinch extra dough together or crimp with a fork. Set aside.

In a large skillet, warm your oil over med/hi heat. Add kale and garlic. Turn heat to medium, sauté for about 5 minutes, or until kale softens and turns bright green. Spread on pie crust.

Shred your cheese, and sprinkle over kale. I shredded mine right ontop and spread it out.

In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs and milk together well. Add a sprinkle of each salt and pepper. Slowly pour over kale and cheese.

The dish will be VERY full! Careful not to tilt the plate.

Place in preheated over, bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving, as it needs to set. If your pie crust edges seem to be getting too dark while baking, simply cover the edges with a little foil for the remainder of the baking time.

Serve and enjoy!!!


I hope you love this as much as I do!!











No comments:

Post a Comment